Wednesday, June 18, 2014

LET'S GO RVing Part 2

On April 24, 2014, I departed my beloved Village Art, Buffalo Gap, and started the next chapter in my adventure.  I had never driven my motor home.  I had not practiced.  But, it was loaded, my house was empty, so it was either sleep in my rv until May 1 or hit the road.  I decided to hit the road.
   Driving through Dallas terrified me.  So instead of taking 45S to catch I-10 to Sulphur, Louisiana, I drove to Shreveport and took I-49 south to Alexandria and then cut cross country to Lake Charles/Sulphur.
   I had to go to Sulphur in order to register my rv.  I use my son's address as my permanent address.  I have a Louisiana driver's license.  I would have a Texas license but I did not want to go back to my maiden name.  Although my military records, my college records, my teaching certificates are all under my married name, as well as my Louisiana Driver's License, Texas had to have a 40 year old divorce document.  I didn't have one.  It was easier to keep my Louisiana License.
   For an $8000 rv, it cost me more than $800 for tax, title, and license plate.  This was much more than I expected.  However, it was a quick and easy process.
   After a couple of days visiting with my son and his family, I headed to my new home on the gulf coast of Texas.  Although I had planned to be a boondocker, my son volunteered to pay lot rent for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment