Monday, August 30, 2010

Did the turtle really win the race??!!

I have my own spin on Aesop's fable.

The turtle was plodding along steady and true. I tell my students that surgeons, accountants, researchers, detectives, bankers, scientists, math teachers, architects, engineers, chefs--detail oriented people--are turtles. And thank heaven for turtles. I want my surgeon true and steady with no misplaced scapels. And my accountant doesn't need to transpose numbers or misplace a decimal losing my money. Engineers and architects must be precise or builings and bridges would collapse all around us. Definitely don't want to taste food that is too salty or undercooked!!

But....I relate more to the rabbit. He ran, he played, he napped. And he only missed winning the race by a turtle's nose. ER docs and nurses get that call from EMS and then wait for the ambulance to arrive. Then it is complete chaos, working fast and furious to save lives. Firemen sit around until the alarm goes off--then it is fast andd furious to get to the fire, determine the type, and how best to proceed. Entertainers work nonstop until a movie is made and then face downtime until the phone rings with that next project. A football coach can plan and prepare but interceptions and blocked punts can put a kink in all his carefully prepared plans. Artists--musicians, painters, writers--all have periods of time when they are blocked creatively but
look at how much they accomplish. Rabbits learn to expect the unexpected!!

I am definitely a rabbit and proud of it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment