Saturday, July 31, 2010

Introduce Jackson Pollock's Technique to Your Kids

Art history and teaching newly learned techniques are my passion.

Here is my project for Jackson Pollock.

1. Find an old painter's cloth. An old one covered in paint has a lot of character. If you purchase a new one, you could cover in a base coat.
2. Save those plastic bottles. Fill with latex "oops" paint. As a teacher, I have had gallons donated to my class. (if you are doing this with small groups of one or more, buy paint in bottles on clearance at Michael's or WAlmart. I have paid as little as a quarter for a bottle.
3. Spread out the large canvas or --- last year I cut the cloth into different size rectanges for my group of ten. Now let the fun begin. Squirt different colors of paint everywhere. That's all you do. Express a joyous emotion.
4. Here are some options you might try.
Add glitter to wet paint
Fold canvas in half. Press. I let my large classes walk on it in old socks. This makes a mirror image.
Try some metallics at the end.
Try using spray paint.
Use paint brushes to create abstract painting. Then add squirts on top.
Spray or paint with polyurethane.
5. Uses for your artwork.
Frame it
Cut into placemats.
Cut up into rug sizes.
Sometimes I fold the edges under and tape for a more finished look.
You can cut and hem your pieces of canvas before painting.
6. Now get really creative. I have used this technique on old tables and chairs, on old lamps and vases, old trunks and suitcases. Even boxes for storage.
7. Like clouds, the more you look at it the more small images you will find.
8. Take photos for layer use or posting.

Post your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment