Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A DEJA VU DAY IN GALVESTON


Riding the ferry.  Watched as 3 beautiful gray and white sea gulls appeared to be racing along side just above the water.  From the corner of my eye, I saw something black.  Started watching a little more closely just to be sure.  There was a big, chunky, sleek, black fella.  Yep.  I saw my first dolphin this spring.  What a delight.

 

   Had a déjà vu kind of day in Galveston.  My bff (a friend I made while sitting on a park bench in downtown Galveston right after Hurricane Ike) and I visited the Farmer’s Market at the corner of 25th and Church Street and tasted anise cookies (yuk), homemade mild salsa, and kombucha tea for the first time.  (Googled the tea when I got home—I think if I had known how it was made with live bacteria at the time of tasting, it may have ended up on the ground.)  We also enjoyed  the free music performed by a local guitarist.  We took a short drive to Star Drug on 23rd for a wonderful Island Omelet and a couple cups of joe. 

     Then the walking of downtown began.  I have always called this area of Gtown my mini Manhattan because of all the restaurants, coffee shops, galleries, museums, and free outdoor entertainment.  We sat at Nestle Toll House Shop to people watch.  A Carnival Cruise ship was docked, loading new passengers.  Children and parents were playing outdoor chess at Sangerfest Park.  Once a month Sangerfest has an outdoor movie in the evenings and/or crafters and artists selling their wonderful creations.  Sometimes there are local musicians entertaining the tourists and locals alike with children dancing , inviting adults to share in their imaginings.  We sat for hours enjoying the sunny weather, the people, the architecture of the 1800’s on the multistoried restored buildings, sharing memories of our many other walks around downtown. 

    Around two, we headed to The Black Pearl for lunch, boiled shrimp and a crawfish poboy, New Orleans style on a mini French loaf.  Then our walking resumed.  We visited a haunted house, Dr. Mayfield’s Morgue set up after the 1900 storm.  We visited with strangers.  I think we terrified the Houstonian tourist with our talkative friendlieness.  She took off running!  We visited with a glass blower who was demonstrating how he created his glass crosses to passer- by.  We returned to Black Pearl around five and enjoyed dessert, a bread pudding with a chocolate sauce over the top and soaked in a bourbon cream sauce.  This was one of the best we had ever tasted.

 

Flip flops were not the right shoes for this day long trek.  I recommend a good pair of walking shoes.  There were uneven red stone paved  streets, concrete curbs, a bit of grass with rocks.  However, it was a great adventure and great fun and my first visit in about three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment