Sunday, August 1, 2010

Friends and acquaintances--the best of Galveston

I took my daughter to New York for Christmas, right after 9-11. We love Manhattan.

I cannot afford Manhattan. But I discovered Galveston has a great downtown and the friendliest people. I have been visiting here for 50 years. So I decided to move here for my last big adventure.

So please allow me to tell you, my future readers about the wonderful and unusual friends and acquaintances I am sharing this adventure with.

First is Brenda. We met on the Strand sharing a bench. She has a magnetic personality, a generous spirit. She has taught me how to smile.  We are often known as the "TWO BRENDAS" and I wonder if she is asked as often as I am "Where is the other Brenda."

Next are the Taylors. I am not their favorite person because I had to break my lease but I loved living in their loft. And their son Guy owns Stork Club, restaurant and bar. I met so many interesting people there. Of course, having moved here two months after the storm, Stork was the only place open.  Guy's dad is friendly, outgoing, knows everyone and everything going on around town.  Guy Jr. is quiet and shy but really, really smart.

Ian is from "Down Under" and is my encyclopedia for everyone and every business on the island. He is a good friend to my daughter. For his birthday, he asked people to bring gifts for the Shriner's Burn Unit.  His friends did, to the tune of about $7000.  Another generous soul.  My favorite story of Ian is ---One day we were gathered at the Stork Club.  A cute pug came to the door.  Ian jumped her and went outside.  He began to tend to the Pug--giving him food and drink.  Not finding a collar, he took him home.  He took the time and trouble to find the owner all the while caring for this pup for days.  There was never a hesitation.  He didn't ask others to take on the responsibility.  He just did what was in his heart.  It may be why he is sharing his one bedroom apartment with three others.  He steps in when others would shy away.

Bud and Laci are two young artists. I admire their courage to follow their dream, for believing in themselves and their creativity.  Bud's art is very abstract--very large.  I like it.  Lacy makes jewelry that is fun.  She created the most beautiful tiara for my daughter to wear at her wedding.  Unfortunately, UPS or FedEx never delivered it.  I saw it when it was finally returned to Laci.

Sheila and Calvin are two of Galveston's angels. They have taught me relationships know no age.

Patti is another angel. She is the most positive, friendly person I know. She has more frienda on facebook than most teens.  She knows everyone on the island.  She opens her heart and home to anyone in need.

Ken is angel number three. He is MOD (my favorite place to hang). He and his wife graciously hosted Thanksgiving for all of us Islanders by Choice. He makes everyone feel special. I'm particularly fond of his hugs.

Angela and Craig own the building where Mod is located.  I kind of think they own lots of buildings.  I mistook Craig for a landscaper.  He politely answered my questions.  I enjoyed talking gardening with him.  Who knew he owned the place.  Angela ran for city council--missed by 4 votes.  She should run again.  I think she would be an asset.  She never stops moving.

Fred is another favorite. He is more northern than southern in speech and mannerism. He is one of the most brilliant men I have ever met. He hurts my feelings sometimes but he is a straight shooter and makes me laugh. He definitely won't let me have a pity party. He and his long time girlfriend are restoring a house on the East End.  No doubt it will be a show piece when finished.

Trevers is another character restoring his home---for the second time thanks to IKE--on the East End.  If he is in a room, you will know because of his loud, boisterous voice.  He tells great stories.  His facts may not always be right on, but his enthusiasm always is.

Clyde owns the Witchery with his wife. He strolls Post Office Street and plays the bagpipes beautifully.

Then there is Eric --more than 20 years younger. He hits on me. I don't take it seriously but he does great things for my ego. He is a brilliant history buff.

Tim is a great caricaturist. And a talented artist with a great sense of humor. He also treated my daughter well.  You can catch him outside on the Strand most summer days, drawing away.

Dani is a young kid with the attitude of a young kid. Always has something to say. Her heart belongs to the animals she cares for and the pup she adopted.

Coffey is marvelous, another Galveston angel and his heart belongs to Dani. He makes great coffee at MOD and is always polite.

Leslie has been nice since the day I met her and she shares a love for crosswords. She is also my source for current events. She is an animal lover and told the story of stopping in the middle of the street to gather dogs roaming among traffic.  She uses her own funds to feed and care for strays.  She introduced my daughter to Shawna--love at first site--and Joy adopted the pup immediately.

Tommy, an elderly gentlemen and a little hard of hearing, knows more Galveston history than anyone I've met. He rides his bike all over downtown and on the seawall.  When he dies, I hope he leaves me his energy in his will.

Ara is a dynamic new author. It is fun to ask him questions about his books. Only in Galveston.

Ginny--what a great artist. I love her studio and her gallery and her home--all in one and downtown. Another Galveston angel. A generous spirit. On art walk Saturday, she is the gallery with people gathered inside and out.  Karoke is going.  Food and wine are abundant.  She is in the middle of the melee meeting and greeting all who entered.  I hope she is making a bundle of money because she deserves it.

Ann is tall and elegant. I feel old, ugly, and fat around her. But she is the epitome of a lady.  Her loft will be on this year's tour.  She is busy everyday, every minute, planning and getting ready for the big event.  I congratulate her on her courage to volunteer to allow strangers walk through her home.  I plan to be one of the first in line.

Stefan is loud and opinionated. He is friendly and fun and the second smartest person I have met. He loves his Mercedes.  I heard him say if he gets some new contract, he is going to law school.  That will be his 4th or 5 degree maybe. 

John is opinionated and bull-headed and so much fun to debate.A true Northerner with a son Shane who is a tremendously talented painter.  His pup has hip dysplacia.  It breaks my heart.

Cash--an older surfer dude. Friendly and polite to all. He sings for his supper with talent and a lot of fun and a great smile.

Lynn is an ex-seal and a great drummer.   He rides his bike when he is not in his big truck.  (I need a bike, too!!)

Phil has moved to south Texas but with his PdDs--he was so smart and fun to talk to.  He knew politics and conspiracy theories.

Originally I ended here but then Brenda read my blog.  She reminded of several interesting people I had left out.

There is mother and son duo, Sheila and Chris.  He is a teen-ager and handsome and plays computer games almost non-stop.  Sheila may be from The South but she is a straight shooter and a great bartender.

Another mother and son duo is Chris and Shaun.  Chris lives up to her bright red hair--funny, talkative, out-going, grinning all the time.  And her son Shaun is handsome and a world renown judo or tai kwan do or whatever type of martial arts artist.

There is the duo of Ginger and John.  John is BOI, big and friendly.  Ginger is New Yorker all the way ---one word and you'll know.  She can do a crossword in 5 minutes and never struggle over a clue.

Then there is Tom--construction,  handyman--he has his own business with Ginger's John.  He came to my rescue when I needed a "home-made" table for my loft.

Young Brandon drives me crazy.  He rides his skateboard all over town and calls me mom.  He has carried many a bag of groceries up and down stairs when I lived in the loft.  We have shared many a breakfast at Stork.  I keep my fingers crossed for Brandon.

We met Donald briefly.  He claims to be a doctor of home medicines and certifies other such doctors.  He did buy us a great bottle of wine to share while we sat on the Strand meeting more new people to turn into friends and acquaintances.  He is the proud father of a yellow VET and he tells everyone about is true love--the car!!

Ryan was Mediterranean Cafe.  He waited on us every time we went--a couple of times a week..  The food was good and Ryan was great!!!  He carried a mattress down my stairs by  himself and helped take it to a friend's loft (she had an elevator).

Cowboy was the sweetest, most polite, homeless person I ever met.  He wore his hat and boots proudly.   He was an older version of the Marlboro man.  He insisted I borrow his prize photo to show my students--a photo of a painting of a dolphin.  He tried going to Waco but didn't like it.  He returned to the island.  Haven't seen him in a while.  I hope wherever he is, he is safe.

The island's favorite character is Kiwi.  He is supposedly the nephew of TV's "Mona".  He paints himself with shoe polish.  He walks the downtown streets.  He almost never speaks to anyone but himself.

Another celeb is James.  He is allegedly the son of great Hollywood hairstylist "Hebert"??  James is always neatly dressed.  He walks around waving his arms and fussing to the wind.  But he always stops his tirades to say hello to me. 

Sherry is our nurse.  She lives with loads of cats.  She is a great photographer.  She is opening a new business selling lp's and 8 track tapes on her off days from the hospital.

John is a Brit and a minister.  He marries couples on the beach.  He would have married my daughter if she had been married in Galveston.  She likes him.  

Robert is a hoot.  You hear him first.  He knows everyone.  A true BOI.  He loves his bikes and collecting guns.  He is becoming a good friend.  He invited me to go to pawn shops to find me a bike.  I will soon!!

Michael and Nancy--the first "couple" I met in Stork.  They finally  became engaged this summer.  You can't look at him and tell he has a Ph.D.  (You can't look at anyone here and guess their jobs!!  I love this about the island.)  And she is a banker.  Both are sweet and nice and fun. 

And there is Ralph, an elderly black gentleman with gray, middle of his back in length, dreadlocks.  He is smart.  Don't know if he got his education on the streets or in college but he can discuss just about anything--history, politics, current events.  Sherry gives him rides to Walmart now and then when he gets low on supplies.

If you are old and fat, then you probably know what it is like to be invisible.  I am going to mention Tim because, although I don't know him well, he is the only person who has made me feel invisible since moving to the island.  I stayed away from MOD for several weeks because of him.  I am not sure he intended such because the other week, he got my dog water and brought me a tea--while we (Mindy and I) were sitting outside.  I was not expecting him to be so gentlemanly.  I am glad I have returned to Mod.

I have to mention one of my students--Sara.  If I could predict the future, of all the students I have taught, she is one with art in her soul.  With a little guidance, motivation, and belief in herself, she will be world renown.  This is one student I hope to follow through her successes.  This is one child I truly believe has greatness waiting for her.

And of course Lou. He is my best friend of almost 30 years. He doesn't live here buts owns condos and visits often.  He takes me to dinner or brings me lunch.  We watch golf on his big flat screen--he hates Tiger and I love to watch Tiger.  He walked my daughter down the aisle at her wedding.  He is her dad in word and deed.

There are so many others I have briefly met.  Jennifer is a great photographer.  Gabe is a great young artist/surfer.  Debbie sings karoke with Ian.  I keep trying to set up Becky with Eric with no success.  Klaus owns the Courtyard Cafe and rides his bike around town.  Derek has a van painted in art history.  Tabitha or whatever her name is puts her turtle on a leash.  I don't want to leave anyone out nor do I want to offend anyone.  Galveston is the only place I have ever lived where one can actually get to know everybody--at least everybody who visits downtown.  Some friendships will be life long and others short lived--but all are fun and interesting.  I have learned so much from each of my new friends and acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment