Thursday, July 29, 2010

Crisis of a newlywed

I love hearing from my daughter--even though she has a netbook, iphone, email, and facebook---she doesn't check it as often as I would like---wouldn't you think she would call several times a day??  Or at least email several times a day???  She says she is busy.  DUH!!  Too busy for her mom?

Well for the last three days, my friends and I have been working on her business plan.  She wants to open a retail clothing shop for 16-34 year olds where they can buy or rent clothes.  The younger generation--a different outfit for everyday of the year.    Well business plans are very time consuming.  I looked up the basics and began typing.  Then I sent her a homework list.  She said I sent too many emails.  So, I sent another one with a numbered list---and probably 20 more with lists I had left off the original list.  (She thinks I overwhelm her with emails.)

I am thinking that once she saw how much work was involved--red tape for SBA and grants--she decided to change her direction---save a few hundred bucks and start small with something simple.  And all the work I have done creating this beautiful plan---out the window.

I told her dad that as a parent, we want our daughter to fail and succeed and to be independent.  However, it doesn't hurt to add a pillow so the fall will not hurt as much.  We are not going to give here the money--as if we could---and I probably would if I had it---but we are going to give her our moral support and time.  Even if she never starts this business or any other business---I think she is learning a lot.  Taking the classroom learning to real life.  For this, it was worth my time to work on a beautiful business plan that will probably never be used.  And she now knows about demographics, cost analysis, market share, owner's equity, etc.

I would say it has been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment