Friday, July 30, 2010

I Poisoned Mindy

According to my mother, the answer to anything that ails you is a laxative. If I suffered from a headache, I was given a laxative. As weird as that sounds, to this day, I usually have a box of those pink pills on hand. And I suffer through the cramping they cause because I know I will feel better when all is said and done. Right??!!

I am also trying to eat healthier and hopefully lose just a little bit of weight. So once a month I might take a little pink pill. Now I don't recommend this to anyone. I am not a doctor. It is just that old habits die hard.

So Saturday night I stopped at Walgreens for a box of women's laxative. When I got home, I put the box on the dining room table. I know I should have put it in the medicine cabinet but I don't have a medicine cabinet in my condo. (It is on my to buy list but it hasn't reached the top of the list yet.) and there it sat, on the table when I went to bed.

The next morning I woke about 6 a.m. and headed to the kitchen for my coffee. I poured a cup and sat down at the table and reached for the box. It was not there. As I began to look around the room, I saw one of the foil packs under the coffee table.

I began to panic. I have a two year-old Morkie. She is my baby now that all my kids are grown. And she has been known to create mischief at night while I sleep unaware of her misbehaving. Sure enough, I found the torn up box and it was empty. I found a couple of pills with the pink licked off and a foil pack with only three pills left. (Do these pills have an aroma that only dogs can smell???)

Now I am really scared and crying. If two pills maake this old fat lady cramp, then I knew I had killed my 10 pound pup. I called my son in Lake Charles. Now Duke can take a jeep down to the frame and rebuild it to look brand new. But he is not a vet. However he is a quick thinker and gave me the number of Poison Control. The person who answered was very helpful and gave me the number of Poison Control for animals. (Who knew there was a poison contol for animals?)

While watching my dog for signs she might fall over dead at any moment, I called the new number. I was told to give her some peroxide and milk. I ran to my medicine cabinet--WALGRENS and grabbed a bottle. I just knew that when I returned home, Mindy would be laying on her back with her legs in the air in horrible agony.

But no. She was running around oblivious to the pain that was about to rack her teeny tiny body. I prepared the concoction of milk and peroxide. Mindy took a couple of licks and wanted no more. I grabbed some bread and soaked it in the milk stuff and she ate a bite or two. Then I gathered up the phone, a cold drink, her leash, and we headed outside. (I love my pup but I did not want her getting sick in the house!)

And we walked. And she barked at other dogs and at the neighbors. And she was loved on by everyone who knew her. And the sun got higher in the sky and it got hotter and hotter. We walked some more. Finally I just sat down on the steps awaiting the inevitable.

For four hours I watched and waited. Nothing. I called the vet again. This time I spoke to a lady and she said 6-8 hours. I tried to get MIndy to drink more peroxide and milk but she refused. We sat. We walked. She played.

After two more hours had passed, I called the vet again worried she could become dehydrated. I asked about giving my little baby crackers and 7-Up. The vet was smart--he didn't laugh. Instead he recommended boiled chicken and broth. I just knew this would be my baby's last meal. She lapped up the broth and devoured the chicken.

And we walked and sat and I baked in the sun. (This has to go down as Mindy's favorite day ever--the love and attention she received.)  Finally I returned home with my pup. I could take the heat no longer.

When I went upstairs I found poor Mindy's regurgitation. I didn't see any pills but...

Mindy is alive and well and we are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment