Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eating healthy--portion control failure

I am getting into eating healthier. I love onions, bell peppers and tomatoes. I need to eat more broccoli--that may be part of my problem. I hate salads in a bag--would rather pay $6-$10 at a restaurant--?? The Mayo Clinic super foods are great and that is pretty much all that I put on my grocery list.

I use skim milk in my coffee and sugar substitute. Sugar free tea. No problem.

Whole grains -- no problem

I have added fish to my diet.

But

I want two fish filets not one. And of course two pork chops. Would you not think that two would make a serving--it does at any restaurant when you order breakfast chops. I think it is unfair that I should use the palm of my hand for a meat portion---don't men have much larger hands. I am thinking I should borrow the hand of someone sitting next to me to compare my portion to just so I get all that I am entitled to!!

I want four servings of Sugar free pudding not one. Those little plastic cups are so small. When I make it at home I make it with skim milk and layers of light cool whip and a few lite cookies for a little crunch. But one 1/2 cup serving---how do people stop at just one?

I want a handful of almonds not 6.

I want 2 or 3 fiber one bars--candy to me.

So how do I get in control of portions without feeling deprived?? I think my servings are too large because I am afraid I might go hungry--obviously I have never been really hungry--so why the fear??

I don't eat out of emotional need. I just like to eat. To be honest, we ate very simply growing up. It wasn't until I went to college that I learned about broccoli and cauliflower. I went home with a college friend and learned about sour cream on potatoes--and cheese--what bliss.

I was in the army when I was first introduced to lobster---I am sure several of my dates left with empty pockets after dinner out---but they should not have said order anything I wanted from the menu.

I digress. Back to portion control. I need some sure fire hints on how to eat every 2-3 hours with zero calories. I need help eating just one of anything--have you tried those Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches--I had six for breakfast and lunch one day.

Let me know some of your secrets.....

No comments:

Post a Comment